Tuesday 26 April 2016

PRACTICE: Drawing from Nature

I've always been inspired by nature and it's beautiful forms. I collect all matter of seeds, dried flowers, pebbles, mineral rocks and other natural ephemera for inspiration. I have recently developed a huge love of succulents and cacti. A friend of mine also collected them, and often described them as "sculptural" because of their countless interesting shapes and textures. Now that I have started a collection of my own, I really understand what she meant. I am enamoured by how many varieties there are, and how they can influence my drawings.

Since being at art school, I became out of touch with drawing and painting regularly. I drew analytical diagrams and plans for my installation work as a logistical way of thinking and problem solving. Therefore I didn't realise how much I missed it. What I've noticed at art school is that simple skills such as drawing are not really taught anymore or encouraged. Which I understand because there are so many other contemporary methods of creating now. But I feel every creative individual can feel a sense of satisfaction in going back to the simple act of drawing. I really missed the tactility of putting pencil/pen to paper , and the immediacy of seeing something evolve. If there's anything I would like to do more of, it's draw.



No comments:

Post a Comment